When the weather is hot and humid. I don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen preparing dinner. I love to have a refreshing salad that is healthy and filling.
With salads we love to try different types of lettuce like spinach, bibb, romaine or rocket which is also known as arugula, and our local grocery store just started carrying micro greens! If you haven't tried them you should! They are super delicious and add a different element to your salad.
Whatever you choose there is no right or wrong way. It's totally up to you! Whatever you fancy!
I love mango in everything! So why not on my salad?
Here is my recipe for our SUMMER SALAD WITH SPINACH, ARUGULA, MANGO, AVOCADO, AND GRILLED CHICKEN WITH FETA now that's a mouthful!
TIP: You don't have to put chicken in it if you want to keep it vegetarian.
This recipe makes 2 large salads, or 4 small.
- 2 cups Spinach ( baby spinach or any fresh kind )
- 2 Arugula
- Handful of Micro greens to put on top of your salad
- A few sprigs of Cilantro
- 3-4 leaves of Basil
- 6 Olives
- Half of a large cucumber
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 1 large ripe Mango
- 1/2 cup of firm Feta Cheese
- 2 Grilled Chicken Breasts
( grill a whole bunch of chicken breasts up on the BBQ ) that way you have them prepped for during the week and you can make so many different things for lunches, dinners.
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- a few tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
1. Wash all of your lettuce really really well. Pat dry or use a salad spinner. Cut up your cucumber in small chunks. Peel and cut up your mango. Dice up your avocado. Tear your cilantro off the stems and tear up your basil leaves. Slice your grilled chicken.
2. Next get a large bowl put your lettuces, cucumber, olives, mango, avocado, cilantro and basil.
3. In a small bowl prepare your dressing. Add your orange juice, olive oil, honey, S&P, garlic powder and stir it really well. Reserve a few teaspoons.
4.Pour it all over your salad and stir carefully. Then dress it up with your micro greens , sliced grilled chicken, feta and add a little bit more dressing on top.
The most delicious refreshing summer salad you've ever had! Don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself!!!!
Let me know what you think of this recipe.