VEGETARIAN ROASTED SWEET POTATO PIZZA WITH THREE CHEESE...
Pizza Pan: Nordicware | Rolling Pin: Joseph Joseph | Pizza Cutter: OXO
Pizza's have come a long way baby. They're not just about your traditional pepperoni and cheese anymore. Here's a spin on a FALL FAVOURITE using sweet potato, caramelized onions and some delicious cheeses.
I make my own dough but I also love the convenience of store bought dough. There is no judging here!!! For this recipe I’ve kept it simple using store bought dough. I buy ours from our local bakery. Bakery dough is just so much fresher and way more delicious than your traditional grocery stores.
For this pizza were doing a roasted sweet potato and caramelized onion pizza with smoked mozzarella, feta and ricotta. We're not vegetarian but we love trying new things and this pizza is really delicious. I tend to use what is in season cause its fresh and lovely and just so yummy!!!
Let’s do this ….
ROASTED SWEET POTATO & CARAMELIZED ONION PIZZA WITH SMOKED MOZZARELLA, FETA AND RICOTTA CHEESE
- 1-2 balls of store bought dough. I use two for a thicker crust. Not frozen. ( if frozen let it defrost )
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large onion
- 1 pkg of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 ball smoked mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup feta ( choose a firm one )
- 1 container smooth ricotta cheese ( you will only be using 1 cup)
- 10 leaves of fresh basil
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- parmigiano reggiano
- chili flakes
- garlic powder
- sea salt, pepper
1. Take your store bought dough rub it with a little bit of olive oil so it’s not sticky. Place it in a bowl and cover with a clean dishtowel. Put in a warm place away from drafts. I just stick mine in the oven and let it rise for 30 minutes. ( do not turn your oven on)
2. Peel your sweet potato and cut into cubes. Mix with a little olive oil, garlic powder, thyme and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and cumin, sea salt and pepper. Add minced fresh garlic. Turn your oven to 425 degrees and roast for at least 30 min. Turning halfway in between baking time.
3. Shred your entire ball of mozzarella and put aside.
4. Thinly slice your onion . Add a tsp of salt. Cook down in a few tablespoons of olive oil until golden on slow for 15-20 min until nice and golden soft. Keep stirring every 5 minutes or so as they will start to stick. Deglaze the pan with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Continue stirring till most of the liquid is gone. Put aside.
5. In same pan that you caramelized onions add a pat or two of butter and olive oil and brown your mushrooms. Do not add salt yet as this doesn't allow your mushrooms to get nice and browned. Add thyme and salt towards the end of the browning process. Put aside.
6. Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface. Punch it a few times and stretch it with your hands if you need help, use a rolling pin. I do both. I stretch it with my hands and then use the rolling pin to help me get it into the shape that I want. If you find your dough is not rolling out well it needs to rest a little longer. Tip: stretch it out as much as you can onto your pan. Rub a bit more olive oil, turn your oven to keep warm setting and leave it in there for 10 min. and voila your dough will have risen more and you will be able to stretch it out.
7. When your dough is nice and ready add a tiny bit more olive oil you just want it coated lightly. Take your basil leaves and scatter them around the dough. Take 1 cup of smooth ricotta, add some salt and pepper. Now smooth it onto your dough you want your entire dough to have a nice thin layer of ricotta. If you like more ricotta add more.Take your basil leaves and scatter them around the dough.
8. Next up take your mozzarella layer that on. I use about half at this point and half later.
9. Take your caramelized onions and spread that evenly on your pizza. Take your roasted sweet potatoes and layer that. Add your mushrooms. Now add the rest of your mozzarella.
10. Crumble your feta and scatter that evenly on top.
11. Place in a preheated oven of 425 and bake for 10 min. Turn pan and bake for another 5 min and see how it looks underneath. If still not golden brown under bake for another 3-5 min watching carefully.
12. Take out of oven and let it rest a few minutes and slice it up!!!! Add a sprinkle of chili flakes. Doll it up with more fresh herbs or sometimes I add fresh spinach on top. I always add a splash of olive oil on top of our pizza when it comes fresh out of the oven. It gives it a wonderful flavour. If you love Parmesan sprinkle a bit more on top for extra yumminess!
This is one of our favourite fall pizzas.
What are some of yours???