In our house we love to try different things…. And pizza is one of those things that you can change up a lot! It’s crazy easy and so versatile. I also love pizza for mid week meals cause it takes no time at all, as long as you have the dough and toppings you’re halfway there!
Now I make my own dough but I also love the convenience of store bought dough. There is no judging here!!! For this recipe I’ve kept it simple using store bought dough. I buy ours from our local bakery. Bakery dough is just so much fresher I find and way more delicious.
For this pizza were doing a Mediterranean zucchini pizza. We're not vegetarian but we love trying new things and this pizza is really delicious. I tend to use what is in season cause its fresh and lovely and just so yummy!!!
MEDITERRANEAN ZUCCHINI PIZZA
- 1-2 balls of store bought dough. I use two for a thicker crust. Not frozen. ( if frozen let it defrost )
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese
- ½ large onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup feta ( choose a firm one )
- 1 container smooth ricotta cheese ( you will only be using 1 cup)
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- olive oil
- chili flakes
- 1-2 stems chopped green onions
- chives a handful chopped
- sea salt, pepper
- 1 lemon
- note: you can also add red, yellow, green peppers and black olives if you wish.
1. Take your store bought dough rub it with a little bit of olive oil so it’s not sticky. Place it in a bowl and cover with a clean dishtowel. Put in a warm place away from drafts. I just stick mine in the oven and let it rise for 30 minutes. ( do not turn your oven on)
2. Take your zucchini and thinly slice it into rounds or matchsticks. Keep the skin on. Put in a colander and sprinkle with salt. This allows the excess water from the zucchini to drain. This step is super important cause who wants a soggy pizza?
Fun Fact: did you know that zucchini is made up of over 90% of water?
3. Shred your entire ball of mozzarella and put aside.
4. Thinly slice your onion and finely chop your garlic. Chop your peppers thin. Fry up in a few tablespoons of olive oil until golden. Put aside.
5. Turn your oven on to 425 degrees.
6. Roll out your dough on a lightly floured surface. Punch it a few times and stretch it with your hands if you need help use a rolling pin. I do both. I stretch it with my hands and then use the rolling pin to help me get it into the shape that I want. If you find your dough is not rolling out well it needs to rest a little longer. Tip: stretch it out as much as you can onto your pan. Rub a bit more olive oil, turn your oven to keep warm setting and leave it in there for 10 min. and voila your dough will have risen more and you will be able to stretch it out.
7. When your dough is nice and ready add a tiny bit more olive oil you just want it coated lightly. Take 1 cup of smooth ricotta and add your chopped parsley to it. Add some salt and pepper. Now smooth it onto your dough you want your entire dough to have a nice thin layer of ricotta.
8. Next up take your mozzarella layer that on. I use about half at this point and half later.
9. Take your drained zucchini. Make sure you squeeze the heck out of it and wrap in dishtowel to dry it. Spread that evenly onto your pizza. Take your garlic, onions, peppers (if you added them) and layer that. Now add the rest of your mozzarella and add your Parmesan.
10. Crumble your feta and scatter that evenly on top. Take your chopped olives (if added) and add that as well.
11. At this point take your lemon, squeeze cut side up onto your pizza. The flavor of the lemon, and garlic and feta and caramelized onions is out of this world.
12. Sprinkle your chives; you can also use basil, green onions, and dill. Save a little to sprinkle fresh when it comes out of the oven.
13. Place in a preheated oven of 425 and bake for 10 min. Turn pan and bake for another 5 min and see how it looks underneath. If still not golden brown under bake for another 3-5 min watching carefully.
14. Take out of oven and let it rest a few min and slice it up!!!! Now squeeze a tiny bit more lemon. Add a nice sprinkling of sea salt and cracked black pepper and chili flakes…. Doll it up with more fresh herbs. If you love Parmesan sprinkle a bit more on top for extra yumminess!
I hope you love this pizza as much as we do. Since this pizza is vegetarian I make a huge spinach and arugula salad with grilled chicken and mango to go with it.
Stay tuned for salad recipe coming soon on the blog….